*A response by Bogs Nartatez to the blog Fatherhood Thoughts about Manny Pacquiao, Boxing and the Like.

Contact sports will stay whether we like it or not. In fact, more violent genre, which was quite taboo a decade or two ago, are now becoming main stream (UFC, PRIDE, URCC, etc). I have to confess that I enjoy contact sports (basketball, boxing, also did a little karate myself), I am even attracted to MMA (mixed martial arts). I like the concept and the art but not necessarily the violence in it (ironic?). I just try to follow fighters that I like and sometimes watch their fights (e.g. Georges St. Pierre, Vitor "the Phenom" Belfort).

 http://www.free-sport-wallpapers.comThere is something in the male gender that is prone to such activities to "prove" one's physicality. I think this has been Divinely designed in us males and is a real distinctive of the masculine species (of course, this in no way makes us superior to our better half). This is not bad in itself, but the expressions of it can be very bad (e.g. the megalomaniac Commodus and ancient Rome's lust for blood and death in the gladiatorial combats).

In terms of Manny and our kids, my personal conviction is that our kids should know about him; who Manny is, and milk his persona for all he's worth to encourage and challenge our kids.  For instance, his story from a nobody to becoming somebody; his work ethic and discipline; the lessons he learned along the way (from an extremely cocky dude to a more humbled and God-honoring person--he is still not an angel though); his love of country and our people (not just for personal wealth and fame), etc. Our kids should not be ignorant of Manny's image as a national icon.

However, I will definitely not let my nine-year old daughter sit through the whole 12 rounds of a Pacman fight. This is just not profitable for her. I will have to explain to her that this is sports pure and simple, and that this sports is for grown ups. Of course, she can come and take a peek at the fight as I'm watching and perhaps I can engage her in some conversation about it, but I will be clear that she can't watch the whole thing with me.

This is my straightforward take on the matter (I confess I have not given this much thought); and if you find this inconsistent and self-contradicting, well, I don't know, perhaps you are right . Violence is a reality in this world. We are not to be ignorant of violence and its many manifestations. However, we must not become so familiar with it that it loses its really ugly reality. Moreover, let's make sure that we don't lust for it like the ancient Romans did (apparently this is becoming a scary reality these days)!

As for The Pacman going in politics, away with such a thought!... But perhaps it's inevitable. However, I'm praying Manny will "see the light" and give up political ambition. He's moneyed enough and influential enough to do a lot of good without the trappings of politics.

In Photo: Bogs Nartatez with UFC legend 
Royce Gracie, Brazilian Jujitsu Master 
who held multiple UFC championships.

Bookmark and Share



Subscribe in a reader

1 comments
  1. Papa Sez November 18, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

    Bogs,

    My eldest daughter sat down with me while I watched the fight and I consciously spoke to her about our concerns as she was interested in what's going on. After learning about the sport (and learned who won via the internet!) she begged out and preferred to read. The younger kids were not interested at all. So it was basically me and my father who sat for the whole 12 rounds.

    Btw, nice photo with Gracie! You were meant to blog about this topic...hehehe

Related Posts with Thumbnails